Friday, October 23, 2009

October 09 - Life's still in flux

Much later, and I've finally figured out the passwords etc to get into this blog. I've been hanging out on Facebook a lot, but have decided to revive this blog as a space to write about personal things that wouldn't be of interest to anyone except (perhaps) my friends. Then I'll have other topic-related blogs - perhaps one on green building and my vision for a network of green building colleges, ecovillages etc; one on 'mindstuff' - explorations into consciousness and how the mind works; and a few others on specific topics for business purposes.

I left Anglican Aids just over a year ago but went back on contract to write a book on some of the good practices in Aids-related projects across the six countries covered by the Anglican Province of Southern Africa. That was an interesting experience, but difficult in many ways, not least the incredible time pressure that just went on and on. We were tying to produce a book from scratch - including research, travel, interviews etc - in about two months and a bit, with me being the only writer (and researcher). It was extremely hectic, but it was completed and the book was 'launched' at a dissemination workshop in Johannesburg last month.

The day after the workshop I launched myself into a 4-day intensive course here in Cape Town - Master I, run by Creative Consciousness International. This was challenging, fun and very worthwhile and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to make more of their life. I was hoping to continue with the next two levels (Master II and III), but the financial situation is a bit too precarious and I've decided to be 'sensible' and limit the risk by postponing those courses.

For now, I need to focus on getting some Internet marketing going. I've been saying this for years ... but so far it's been mainly a learning (rather than an earning) process. I'm now consolidating a lot of that and hope and trust that I'll get it together. I have to - I really don't want to get back into another office job. I'm still open to doing editing (and formating of documents, which is a new job type that appears on my desk every now and then, mainly from former colleagues). Editing (and basic DTP in Word) is probably the thing I'm most expert at, but generally I find the industry quite abusive of freelancers, so I'm not keen to make that my bread & butter anymore. That way lie heart attacks and burnout.

Must fly now - time to do some shopping for a conference at my church! I'm volunteering, just for a change.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home